For most "normal" folks, summer has been over for weeks now, but as for me, I officially bid the season a tearful adieu last Sunday when we closed the pool for another year :( . It doesn't matter that it sat cold, lonely and swimmerless for about a month filled with leaves and water green enough to house the creature from the black lagoon. In my mind, as long as the pool is "open", summer is still upon us.
Gone are the late night swims and drinks by the pool. Time to batten down the hatches and brace ourselves for what lies ahead .......................
That being said, there is a real beauty in the melancholy of autumn. The sights and smells are very comforting and inspiring. However you can only ride the coat tails of comfort and inspiration so far and before you know it you are smack dab in the middle of winter..... and since not all of us can fly first class to a tropical location (not mentioning any names but you know who you are), I have compiled a list of boredom busters to get us out of our "winter funk"
1. Make prank phone calls......
but remember vulgarities do not make a call funny, getting the other person to believe a ridiculous story will.... try to see if you can get them to make noises to test their line, or make up a survey, be creative.
2. See if diamonds really do cut glass on everything in your neighbours house.
3.Watch T.V and repeat everything said in an Italian accent, include flamboyant shoulder shrugs for added impact.
4. Throw a tomato into a fan (best to do this at your neighbours house too)
5. Go tobogganing with a mickey of Fireball whiskey stashed in your pocket. (MUST BE LEGAL DRINKING AGE)
6. Find bad face lift pictures online
7. Crank up the heat to at least 30 degrees, blast Bob Marley, randomly yell out "Yeah Mon" make Mojitos and enjoy tropical fruit with Margarita dip (recipes below) (again, MUST BE LEGAL DRINKING AGE)
8. Learn to peel a banana with your feet
9. Learn the "Thriller" dance
10. Use your secret mind power.....
Pick a passerby and try to use your mind power to command them to do something, like drop their bag or knock into someone. Eventually one of these things will actually happen, so you can convince yourself that you really do have super human powers and waste even more time trying them out.
If these don't carry you through until spring, feel free to repeat at random as often as necessary.
Recipe for Margarita Fruit Dip (this can be made without alcohol)
2 cups of reduced fat sour cream
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
3 Tbsp tequilla
1 Tbsp fresh grated lime peel
1 Tbsp fresh grated orange peel
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp ground roasted almonds
In medium bowl combine all ingredients and whisk well until blended.
Cover and chill several hours.
When ready to serve, garnish with small lime slices and serve with fresh fruit.
Recipe for Mojitos
2 oz White Rum
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 tsp Sugar
6 whole Mint Leaves
2 oz Soda Water
Put juice and sugar into a highball glass and stir until dissolved.
Rub mint leaves on inside of the glass and discard.
Fill with crushed ice and rum, stir.
Top with soda water and garnish with a sprig of mint.